From: lee at seethrusec.co.uk (lee@...thrusec.co.uk)
Subject: A rather newbie question

Like anything its all about what you may have or what they want, your logs
show a few different ports but port 60096 stands out.

I get these logs all day and get hit all day, whats systems do you use? what
bandwidth have you got? are you actually seeing a degrade in browsing
performance? you may just be a random product of the NET like the rest of
us.

Tell us a little more about your system. as far as nmap-ing well, didnt know
that was illegal depends on your country,

here info from port 60096 anyways, hope it helps you.

Port number: 60096

Common name(s): client-port on Red Hat Linux 9.0, Fedora Core 1, Red Hat
Enterprise 3

Common service(s): client

Service description(s): Outgoing client connections from systems.

Common server(s): RPC based services, Windows Messaging Service.

Common client(s): All client software (SSH, Web clients, etc.)

Common problem(s): Insecure client software

Encrypted options: Not applicable

Secure options: Not applicable

Firewalling recommendations: Block inbound connections to client ports,
allow outgoing connections and returning packets (keep state)

Attack detection: As a general rule data coming in to client ports that is
not part of an established connection is likely an attack. Exceptions exist
of course, such as FTP, various instant messenger protocols, file sharing
protocols, IRC's DCC, and so on.

Related ports: 32768 and other client ports

Related URL(s):
http://seifried.org/security/os/linux/20011005-linux-port-behavior.html

Other notes: Port 32768 is the first port used by the operating system for
outbound connections, thus it is likely you will see outbound connections
from port 32768 and up. If you run netstat on Red Hat Linux or UNIX you will
see something like:

[root@...ky web]# netstat -vatn
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 10.2.3.4:32768          10.3.4.5:22
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 10.2.3.4:32769          10.9.3.4:80
ESTABLOSHED

Lee @ STS
http://www.seethrusec.co.uk
Building Knowledge and Security..