From: cheekypeople at sec33.com (Lee)
Subject: Unpacking Sasser

Hi Nick thanks for the comments, I can see your point, I do take advantage
of the vmxnets in vmware to stop anything coming out but a remote ssh
connection in, like always, "understand what you use, not take it for
granted" applies.

I am intrigued by your points of malware understanding the environment

"VM environment can be
> sensed by the code being tested and choose to act entirely differently
> from how it would otherwise."

I have never seen this before, have you any pointers for me?  I use ESX
server alot and malware been able to detect my environment is something I
havent seen before. Would kind of go against the very nature of ESX server,
like said, very interested on this as it would help to safe guard our
testing environments.

What suggestions would you give for creating an adequate environment?

Kind Regards

Lee @ STS
http://www.seethrusec.co.uk
Building Knowledge and Security..