From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: A rather newbie question

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:43:19 PDT, Harlan Carvey <keydet89@...oo.com>  said:
> even the most rudimentary security awareness), then
> shouldn't the admins be required to have a law degree,
> also?  How about a hospital...shouldn't each admin
> then have to have a medical degree?

I would *HOPE* that even if a hospital doesn't require a medical degree for its
admins, that they at least require *all* the support staff (admins, janitors,
orderlies, etc) to have some very basic understanding of enough procedures so
that they at least don't do any harm:

1) Don't go into rooms with a Quarantine sign unless you don't intend to come
out...

2) Know the rules of which way you should jump if a crash cart is coming down
the hallway..

3) What a biohazard symbol is, where you should find containers with that
symbol, and what to do if you find a biohazard container where it shouldn't be,
or a biohazard that isn't in its container...

You know, the same basic level of knowledge we wish they had regarding
computers, the "Don't click on the 'OOooh Shiny!' attachment" level....

(And I am told that in fact, hospitals *do* require all their staff to get
at least "basic CPR" training and the like...)