From: svgn at orbid.be (Serge van Ginderachter (svgn))
Subject: Learn from history?

I work in SME environments. Those guys don't have the resource and money,
nor the knowledge to begin to understand.
It's also about practical stuff.

> 1. Keep informed.

Sure. I'll inform all my 300 customers MS release a bug today, and I'll drop
by to all of them to patch tomorrow.

> 2. Install patches as soon as possible

That would involve runnning Windows Automated Update every night
automagically...

> 2. If a patch cannot be installed, find workarounds

That does not work with the workarounds customer need to facilitate life
(security <> easy of use, remember)

> 3. If it is a port-related threat, find out if such ports are
> in use, and if
> not, make sure they are closed. (Of course there would

Once the virus is on the LAN it can do whatever it wants.

> Some of the comments overheard this week regarding Sasser:

I got a nice one today, when trying to explain why opening OWA directly is
not a nice idea:
"I have a natting router which acts like a firewall and I have anti-virus
software, so what's the problem?"
I did propose some firewall, but they feel it's too much EUREUREUREUR

> Will they learn from history? Only history will tell.

I'm pretty sure they won't. Even most tech guys don't have a clue.

	Serge