From: mobil at tzi.dhs.org (Thomas Zangl - Mobil)
Subject: Few n00b questions about this phatbot thing

Am Tue, 04 May 2004 23:13:40 +0000, schrieb Sean McAllister <lists@...llisterweb.com>:

Hi,

>So, as I understand it, this Phatbot is a complex black-hat tool that's
>used to create a "botnet"  of hacked computers that can be used for
>DDOS, stealing passwords, credit cards, and a plethora of other things?
>Has anyone ever found out who wrote it in the first place?  I can't
>imagine it has any benign use, just curious where things like this come
>from.

As far as I skipped through the sourcecode (a member of this list
provided) you can see:

* at least 3 different authors
* many parts are copied from GPLd software (ftplib, etc)
* they include gpl.txt and their own apl.txt ? maybe they want to
sell/share this project?
* its developed using VC++ and then ported to linux
* its designed for linux and win32 ..
* the author(s) is/are willing to sell bots to others (spammers?)

I did not look any further as I do not have much time yet.. but its an
interessting insight.