From: frank at knobbe.us (Frank Knobbe)
Subject: Agobot author is a pacifist?

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 06:58, Jos Osborne wrote:
> Hmmm...compulsory national service...what a cheap way of getting a labour force.
> I'm mixed on my views on this - on the one hand having this labour force is a good thing, and a younger me could have definately done with having some discipline and structure, but then again reports of what used to happen here when national service was compulsory make me nervous of the concept.
> What do other people think?

Not really a topic for Full-Disclosure. But since you asked...

I think more countries should have that. Not so much for the military
service, but for the civil service. I grew up in Germany and spent 18
months doing civil service, caring for a 14 year old quadriplegic boy.
(After those 18 month, that boy was like a son to me. One of the most
rewarding things I ever did).

Point is everyone should be called to this to gain stature and
experience while at the same time doing good things for folks living in
the society that otherwise could not get the help they need. Kurt
mentioned Meals-On-Wheels type service. There are also other services,
but mostly helping the elderly or handicapped. The need will always be
there. Why not send some juveniles to help out, have them perform a good
service while learning something on the way? (And getting paid of
course).

Regards,
Frank