From: full-disclosure at nym.hush.com (full-disclosure@....hush.com)
Subject: Is there any open source project support virtual machines

>In our research project, we need to generate background traffic. One
>of the problem is how to use one or two machines to simulate hundreds
>of machines? Is there any open source project for this? Thanks very
>much for your help. By the way, does anyone happen to know any good
>project for background traffic generation ( we are interested in user
>behavior ones)? Thanks.

Use one or two machines to simulate hundreds?  Unlikely.

But, these might help:
http://tcpreplay.sourceforge.net/
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
http://www.google.com/

There's a packet generator option I've seen when configuring recent Linux
kernels that I've not played with.

The network testing utilities in BSD ports collections are also worth
a look.