From: DaveHowe at cmn.sharp-uk.co.uk (Dave Howe)
Subject: irc over ssl

> What do they expect you to do you X Windows work with then?
TBH - they don't, and I don't.
on the rare occasions I need to use X, I walk to the server room and use
the console.  I could also use xVNC, or cygwin/x , but I don't use X often
enough for it to matter.  There are also a few CDs for the Hummingbird
thing around here someplace.

> I know there are X windows emulation products for MS Windows, but these
are
> horrible, you can't compile things for them and they cost more than a
linux
> CD rom.
I can compile for x-under-cygwin no problems - I just don't :)

> On top of this the Linux thingy comes with REAL X11, real snmp, real
> daemons, real wu-ftp... Oh and what about those amazingly expensive
packages
> under windows that do... SYSLOG viewing!  Wow!  Syslog... now that must
be worth
> millions!  No, Zillions! Some place I worked fork some pretty insane
money for
> one syslog viewer that was sold as "a complete security solution"... the
type
> that you can replace with a 5 lines perl script. :-)
*nods* there is a nice windoze syslogd here -
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/software_downloads.htm - but why would I want
one? if I want syslog, I ssh to the nearest real unix (tm), (no, not you
sco)

> That is why  some questions I sometimes dare ask in interviews are:
> "So what machine will be on the desktop? What OS?  And why?"  if the
answer is
> windows, I just know that it's one of those places that doesn't really
have it's
> priorities set right and I dare the quit or double game.  It works most
times
> though.
I needed the job at the time - and linux sucked back then - today, I might
make a different decision.