From: kmc at eircom.net (Kevin Connolly)
Subject: Imaging Operating Systems

Maarten wrote:
> This is an interesting thread...  But out of curiosity, is it also possible to
> do backup / restores using readily available linux tools?
> I'd like to be able to do something like running dd over a network connection,
> or tar, or whatever other tool.  In that case, a bootable CD is all you need.
> But I'm unsure how to do that...
>
> Maarten

one suggestion
make the PC dual boot: Windows and Linux
with the Linux partition larger.

boot Linux and dd the raw Windows partition to a Linux file
boot Windows and play with malware
boot Linux and dd the file back out to the Windows partition
rince and repeat...

I used this method some years back with Win95 and FreeBSD
but I had a very small Win95 partition.

See also: www.feyrer.de/g4u/    Ghost for Unix