From: seth at positivism.org (Seth Alan Woolley)
Subject: Cisco's stolen code

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:11:43PM +1000, Brad Griffin wrote:
>  Don't reply to me, I'm on the bloody list...

1) Set your mail-followup-to.  There's no way for me to know who is
subsribed and who isn't without a mail-followup-to.  My mailer does this
for subscribed lists automatically.  When I hit group reply, if it sees
the mail-followup-to, it will use that, else it will make sure the mail
gets to you by sending it to both the list and the sender.

http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

2) My mailer strips duplicate messages based on message-id automatically
for clients that don't support mail-followup-to and have the weaker
group reply.  They get filtered into a special duplicates folder.

3) My mailer uses the in-reply-to and references headers to thread the
messages.  Your mailer doesn't include these, which breaks the message
context.

http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html

All those integrated into mutt, spam (spambayes) and virus (clamav)
filtering, procmail filtering for mailing lists, and automatic month-old
mail archiving (fcrontab on my Maildir folders) have increased my mail
utility by an order of magnitude.

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8  3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org