From: etomcat at freemail.hu (Feher Tamas)
Subject: Twenty years after 1984 or, well...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/text_punk/

Secret Police slap cuffs on Punk SMSer
by Lucy Sherriff, TheRegister, 3 June 2004

A tech worker was arrested yesterday after a text message he sent
was intercepted and traced back to his phone.

In a scene reminiscent of Neo's first escape from Agent Smith, Special
Branch officers slapped the cuffs on Mike Devine at his office in Bristol
yesterday, and took him away for questioning.

Devine, who plays in a Clash tribute band in his spare time, had sent a
message containing lyrics from The Clash's Tommy Gun to his lead
singer who had forgotten the words to the song.

According to The Sun, the message read:
"How about this for Tommy Gun? OK - SO LET'S AGREE ABOUT THE
PRICE AND MAKE IT ONE JET AIRLINER AND TEN PRISONERS"

The arrest has prompted speculation about how the message was
intercepted. Police maintain that Devine's message went astray. They
say he actually sent it to a woman in Bristol by mistake and it was she
who alerted police to the content.

!>However, The Sun quotes Chris Dobson, a terrorism expert, as
!>saying that the interception clearly shows that GCHQ is
!>monitoring all vocal and textual mobile phone traffic.

Devine himself is slightly bemused by the incident. He said: "It hadn't
even occurred to me that it might look a bit dodgy. It was quite nerve
wracking for Special Branch to come looking for you at work. I was
thinking, Oh God, what have I done?"

The police questioned Devine about his phone, and asked if he had
used it to send texts at the end of April. They showed him a print out of
the text and asked him to confirm that he had sent it. "I said, 'That's
the lyrics from Tommy Gun. I'm in a tribute band'," Devine said.

Fortunately, once he explained that the message was not part of a
terrorist plot, the police accepted his explanation and let him go, but
not before suggesting to Devine that he be careful about where he
sent such messages in future.

Big Brother is watching you!