From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: another new worm submission

	[SNIP]

> >> How are these system getting compromised? Why don't you have this patch
> >> deployed yet? Why are these systems reachable from the Internet over
> >> port
> >> 445?
> >>
> > For someone who knows nothing about his network, you sure are willing
> > to make a lot of assumptions. You admit you don't know how the systems
> > were compromised and you don't know what compromised them, yet you
> > castigate him for leaving port 445 open and not patching and you
> > assume this happened *remotely*?

	[SNIP]

> You're right, I made an assumption that the systems were being
> compromised remotely rather than being deliberately and maliciously
> hacked by insiders. Would this somehow be less of a problem? Having
> systems with routable addresses reachable through port 445 is the most
> likely avenue of compromise, if this is not the case then Josh would be
> well advised to determine exactly what is going on with his network.

Agreed here, anyone sitting with exposed windows specific ports on the
insecure Internet <e.g. 445, 135-139, udp as well as tcp, etc> is pretty
much deserving of what hits them these days.  Without tackling that
side of the coin, it's going to be pretty hard for these folks to
determine if the troubles they are facing is internal or not.
Without control of the perimiter choke point, how can one even
think to start to look at controls of the whole danged wire inside?
Perhaps we need to adapt  personal firewall day to a monthly thing for
the next 5 years or more to help these clueless souls.

	[SNIP]

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.