From: poof at fansubber.com (Poof)
Subject: WinXP SP2 comments  (was: Internet explorer 6 execution of arbitrary code)

> While the new "security center" complains about how I don't have a
> firewall or antivirus installed (it doesn't detect either), the better
> security more than makes up for this minor annoyance - I no longer need to
> worry about where I go because the simple yet absolute 'no popups' and 'no
> software installations' security settings lock IE down so well.

Well, the "Security Center" will only detect your firewall/antivirus if the
program tells Windows that it's protecting your computer. (New API Microsoft
did... Many companies are using it now.)

> A note about the security center- I *think* it can be disabled by editing
> the %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf file to show the entry for it in add/remove
> windows components.  I've tried to do this, but it either does not have
> immediate results, or does not work.  I havn't done any real research on
> it because of a lack of time (or perhaps patience), but would like to know
> how to get rid of this if anyone knows.

Well, all you have to do to disable it... Is disable the "Security Center"
service in the services.msc! Gasp! Easy. =)

BTW. Uninstalling a service pack isn't 100% supported. It's recommended to
wipe and reinstall.

~