From: thor at pivx.com (Thor Larholm)
Subject: RE: COELACANTH: Phreak Phishing Expedition

You can't replicate this with most other servers because the Host header
is set to a non-existant site on most servers. However, you can use this
to gain both Trusted Sites and Intranet Sites privileges from arbitrary
websites.

Whenever IIS or Apache receives a request it will first locate the
proper site based on the IP adress being used, after which it will
lookup based on the Host header. In the case of e-gold, they have simply
not specified a Host header for the IIS website that they configured.
You can send a HTTP request to e-gold.com with "Host: foobar" and their
site still comes up, even though you should only get their site with a
header such as "Host: e-gold.com" or "Host: www.e-gold.com".

HTTP 1.1 requires the use of a Host header and it is bad practice to
accept HTTP requests without a Host header that corresponds to a locally
configured site. In most cases with IIS, this only happens if you are
using the Default Website or explicitly has choosen to not specify a
Host header for the site. You can specify multiple Host headers for a
site so there is not much excuse not to do so.

Whenever IE wants to send an HTTP request it first needs to determine
what server to connect to. Because of the URL escaping IE disregards
anything before the slash and equal sign, and sees that it has to send
an HTTP request to www.e-gold.com. It is only after IE has determined
what server to request information from that it URL decodes the URI and
ends up with http://www.microsoft.com/redir=www.e-gold.com, which it
then displays in the Address Bar and subsequently uses to determine what
security zone it should use to render the HTML. IE only decides what
security zone to use based on the Address Bar value after it has
successfully downloaded all of the HTML (untill then it is in the
Unknown Zone), at which point the URL decoding has long since happened.

If you want to exploit this to serve content from your site in the
security zone of another site, you will need to disregard the Host
header being sent by the client. A perfect candidate you can use to gain
additional privileges is WindowsUpdate.microsoft.com or
oca.microsoft.com who are both in the Trusted Sites security zone on a
default installation of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP SP2.

You should be able to use this to compromise Windows XP SP2 through
Internet Explorer despite the My Computer zone hardening since the
Trusted Sites Zone has all of the privileges you need to plant and
execute a file.

Other than gaining access to the Trusted Sites zone, you can further
gain access to the execution privileges of the Local Intranet zone by
explicitly leaving out a TLD (Top Level Domain) in the first part of the
query. The following immediately gain Local Intranet privileges:

http://whatever%3fredir=www.e-gold.com
http://whatever%3fredir=yourevilsite.com

Regards

Thor Larholm
Senior Security Researcher
PivX Solutions
24 Corporate Plaza #180
Newport Beach, CA 92660
http://www.pivx.com
thor@...x.com
Stock symbol: (PIVX)
Phone: +1 (949) 231-8496
PGP: 0x5A276569
6BB1 B77F CB62 0D3D 5A82 C65D E1A4 157C 5A27 6569

PivX defines a new genre in Desktop Security: Proactive Threat
Mitigation.
<http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix>