From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: server administration

as a tool in the implimentation, have a look at rsync.  It's still
supported and updated.  Only has troubles with files of multi gig size,
and works under/through ssh.

But, you are going to find there is not single tool to do all you seek.
You are going to end up crafting a number of tools together, some off the
shelf, some hand crafted to accomplish the tasks at hand, and this
includes storage of the info. to which a database of some sort will need
to be tossed into the mix most likely, unless you can deal with
traditional directory/file storage methods.

I once not too long ago worked for a company that did all system configs
in cvs, which was a fine way to push common setups to various platforms
and servers in quick order.

I'll leave you to the script/code, test and redo mode you must be nearing
after your research...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, harry wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i know this is not really a security thing, so if someone could tell me
> where the correct place to ask is... i would really appreciate it...
>
> but for the question now (this could be interesting for a lot of people
> i think):
>
> we have some 100+ servers here, and we would like to make an inventory
> of all the servers. each server has a service tag etc... all servers
> have one or more services running on it.
>
> the idea is: we would like everything (config, static information,
> dynamic info,...) on a central server in a secure intranet.
> the first problem:
> how do you collect the data, how do you store it,what software do you
> use to get info out of a server (static info as wel as dynamic info).
>                                   ^^^^^^                ^^^^^^^
>                                   a script?               snmp
> second problem:
> what soft can you use for pushing the config to the servers and
> restarting servers, without having to log in to each one individually
> (something like rdist?) sshkeys?
>
> all has to be as easy as possible off course ;)
>
> at first i was thinking of a wiki and rdist, but wiki is not the best
> way to go for documentation i think, and rdist is ... well... old
> (latest news: 23/10/2001)
>
> anyone some ideas?
>
> ps. for operational status checks, we use nagios, for graphs: cacti
> and sorry for the off-topicness, i really don't know where else to ask
> --
> harry
> aka Rik Bobbaers
>
> K.U.Leuven - LUDIT             -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
> Rik.Bobbaers@...kuleuven.ac.be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org
>
> "\x4e\x65\x76\x65\x72\x20\x74\x72\x75\x73\x74\x20\x61\x6e\x20\x6f"
> "\x70\x65\x72\x61\x74\x69\x6e\x67\x20\x73\x79\x73\x74\x65\x6d\x20"
> "\x79\x6f\x75\x20\x64\x6f\x6e\x27\x74\x20\x68\x61\x76\x65\x20\x73"
> "\x6f\x75\x72\x63\x65\x73\x20\x66\x6f\x72\x2e\x0a\x00"

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.