From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: M$ - so what should they do?

Oh absolutely. I've said it before, they aren't coding for the common good
of the people. They are a business, to think they would make changes for any
other reason than financial gain is silly. However, without changes and
improvement, they won't continue to grow and sell so they need to make
changes.

If I owned a large software business I wouldn't just make changes because
philosophically they made me happy or someone else happy but wouldn't help
the bottom line of the company at all. I don't think most honest speaking
folks would say the same.

Knowing the specifics of what people think need to be improved could help
someone in the company who has been fighting for that exact improvement.
Most times when I have spoken with MS Dev guys or QFE guys, they think the
same thing I do or many others do, however they don't have enough customer
comments to back them to get management to sign off on the change.
Additionally giving ideas on HOW something should be improved tends to go a
longer way than simply saying something sucks and needs to be improved.

Finally, the number of requests they get for changes probably balances out
to 25-30% actually being able to be kept as the others all cancel each other
out in being equal and opposite requests. I see that on a small scale with
just the few tools I write and I maybe get only 100-200 emails a week with
requests.

 joe