From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Name One Web Site Compromised by Download.Ject?

Oh the naivete ...

Regardless of the fact that this is full disclosure, does anyone really
think that any medium to large business concern wants to make public the
fact that their IT infrastructure is vulnerable? Especially in the Fascist
Utopia that we call America? Pu-LEEZ!

The reason that you have not seen anything is because no one wants to
admit that (a) they are vulnerable, (b) their equipment sucks, (c) they
employ idiots, (d) seventeen year old hackers are more intelligent/
diligent/ persistent than their US$100,000+ per year IT guru (who's
currently in a meeting...please leave a detailed message).

As a normal part of any security audit that I perform, I provide the
client with a contract that explicitly states that I will not, under
penalty of law, divulge the identity of the client to anyone (except
maybe the DoJ if they come after me). Companies (infallible as they are)
have no desire to publicize their shortcomings. The lack of news
regarding victims of this huge gaping hole (HGH) is no conspiracy
or coverup. It's called "standard operating procedure". If you ever
get a job in a corporation, you will become familiar with it.
Acadamicians aren't supposed to practice information hiding. However I
wonder whether your search would uncover any academic institutions that
have suffered a similar fate?

BTW, I don't necessarily advocate the silence; I merely understand it.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/