From: asp at webexc.com (Ben Timby)
Subject: software burning cpu or mobo ?

Georgi, my understanding is that some CPUs have thermal shutdown
safeguards. I have been told by friends that AMD CPUs seem to be over
clocking "friendly" in that sense. I have no personal experience over
clocking my CPU.

However, I once fixed a friend's PC, it was locking up because it was
overheating. He must have had it in a very dirty environment, because
once I cleaned out his heat sinks (which were caked in dust), everything
was fine. This was a newer AMD CPU (MP 1700 methinks), and was
gracefully shutting down when it overheated, no permanent damage.

All CPUs I have fried, I have done the hardcore way using a hammer or
similar method :-).

Hope that helps.