From: dcopley at eEye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: Second RE: (IE/SCOB) Switching Software Because of Bugs: Some Facts About Software and Security bugs

These things said, you did start the whole IE security
thing, really, though I think l0pht found some nice ones.

In a lot of ways you originated the whole field of looking
for configuration type errors. And, I do not know you,
that is correct. So, I can not speak for you.

But you did use Windows. I do read your emails.

But, I would say, you are extremely talented. I would say
the bugs you found, others did not find. The bugs you found,
while not overly technical in the sense of requiring deep
knowledge of ASM were, regardless, extremely difficult to
find. Even if some came easily, surely it took a lot of
work in the first place in order to understand how the
developers thought and find bugs in their software.

If you are going to say you did not spend a lot of
time finding these bugs, that they were extremely easy
to find and required no talent whatsoever... then say
that. I do not believe that, and likely, would not believe
it even if you believed it yourself.

And even that would not change the point that you used
Windows and IE. There is a lot of software out there you
never used at all. Therefore, you never would have tested
it.

I am not some new convert to Windows, I am not even a
convert. In a great many ways, I prefer Linux.

But, none of that is the point. The point is just that
if people change, they should change because, say, Microsoft
has a really bad history of fixing issues... not because
actual bugs were found. Not out of fear.

Not when the bugs found are extremely difficult to find. Not
when they are being found by the same people.

Some people have the idea that there are a lot of Guninski's
out there. For instance. I would say this is not true. There
is too much reason to use full disclosure. The bugs are
too difficult to find. And, egos aside, bugfinders tend
to know and hang around other bugfinders.

A huge motivator for using security bugs to hack systems
is ego, or fame, or whatever. This is entirely mitigated
by the full disclosure process. Another huge motivator
is money -- for some people. But these types of people are
smart enough to avoid all of the hassle of finding security
issues and can make money in just about any way they want
to. Quite often.

This leaves political or religious motives, really. And,
generally, if people are wrapped up in some kind of
serious fanaticism... the last thing they have time or
desire to do is to enter into bugfinding.

This is not to say that the scene will not be changing,
I am sure it will be. It already has been changing, slowly.