From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: Presidential Candidates' Websites Vulnerable

Harlan Carvey wrote:

>>Problems with electronic voting; FYI
>>

>I'm familiar with some of the issues regarding
>electronic voting...what I'm not seeing is the
>connection between that and this draft issue you
>raised.

 From what I recall, the reason that the draft bill was put forth in
congress was to send a message to the Bush administration to try to keep
them from going to war.  The idea was that if the nation required
sacrifice, it should have to sacrifice fully and the possibility of a
random draft might keep them from acting for fear that their children
would get drafted.

 From where I sit, I don't think that that would have stopped them at
all, but that's another issue altogether.

I think that where the two stories do link (and this doesn't have to be
the draft, it could be literally any piece of legislation)  is that the
ability to compromise the voting machines could make the politicians
more likely to pass a greater number of questionable bills because they
wouldn't have to be accountable to the elections process anymore.  If
some of what's coming from companies like Diebold is true (like their
executives promising elections to republicans) then we have something to
be concerned with on our hands.

Aside from that, I don't think there's a direct link except to say "look
what they'll do if our election system is compromised!"

Keep in mind, people in the Soviet Union voted as well, but the
elections were fixed.

             -Barry