From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Presidential Candidates' Websites Vulnerable

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Jordan Klein wrote:

> > Anybody have any better ideas? We certainly can't trust the politicians or
> Diebold.  Considering the results of the last
> > election the whole process seems questionable, like in Chicago
> > "vote early, vote often."
>
> IMO, the only way to have the best of both worlds (electronic voting that
> helps the impaired, and an audit trail) is to have them print out some sort
> of encoded bar-code receipt that is what gets tallied.  When you vote, you
> immediately get two receipts.  One to take home that gives you the name(s)
> of who you voted for, and the other is read by a counting machine that
> actually tallies the votes.  The electronic voting machine that you use
> should NOT actually tally any votes.  The bar-coded receipt that is tallied
> should also be a one-use code.  That way, someone could run them through as

That's just reverting back to a paper vote process, why waste the time and
effort and expense to put in a bunch of calculators that preint up more
paper fed into another calculator?  Might as well go back to punchcards
and either a hand tally or feed the cards into another calculator...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.