From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

Denis Dimick wrote:

>Barry,
>
>I have to agree with you one once a company changes the code then they own
>it. However wrapping the same old software in an RPM to me does not change
>it enough to have "someone" else own the code.

Per the Free Software model it does.  The key point here is that Red Hat
is redistributing the code and making  a profit off of it.  It's Red
Hat's choice regarding whether to redistribute said code.  Since they're
making the money off of it, they have to support it.

>I do find it "funny" that sendmail and BIND have been thrown out in the
>e-mails (don't think it was you) But these two applications are some of
>the most buggy bits of code ever written.
>
>There are far better aplications out there if someone want to run a mail
>or dns server if you ask me.

Sendmail and Bind have been riddled with bugs, this is true, but I don't
know if I'd label them some of the most buggy bits of code ever written.  :)

But, as you said, there are far better choices out there -- and Red Hat
(hypothetically speaking, of course) has the choice to distribute those
instead of sendmail/bind.

                   -Barry