From: bpasdar at igxglobal.com (Babak Pasdar)
Subject: Your account at Wells Fargo has been suspended (Phishing Scam)

ATTENTION,

We have uncovered a phishing scam.  This is a perfect example of a
phishing scam.  All indicators (that the recipient sees) show a valid and
legitimate e-mail from Wells Fargo.  This e-mail tells the user their
account has been frozen due to fraudulent activity and gives them a link
to go to.  However when you click on the link it takes you to a site in
Korea and not Wells Fargo:

http://online_wellsfargo_com_account.rndsystems.co.kr:7301/wells.htm

If you clink on the link an exact model of the Wells Fargo web site
replicated.  This is the exact type of issue we had success with in
working with the FBI which led to an arrest of an unsavory Russian
character.

There are no products to protect against phishing other than user
education and vigilance along with refining the current model for mail.

Babak

Here is a quick assessment that confirms the e-mail is fraudulent.  In
the header notice the source sending it to igxglobal is not identifiable
via reverse DNS:

imgxs43.goimaginex.net (Postfix) with SMTP id 15105B0016 for
<bpasdar@...maginex.net>; Tue,  6 Jul 2004 15:08:21 -0400 (EDT)

Further research shows that the contact for the network IP in question
is Kanghyun Lee out of Seoul, South Korea:

person:       KANGHYUN
LEE
descr: 	      BUSYKOREA
descr: 	      , Guro 5(o)-dong , Guro-gu
descr: 	      SEOUL
descr: 	      152-055
country:      KR
phone: 	      +82-2-862-1780
e-mail:       YHMARIA02@...MAIL.COM
nic-hdl:      KL512-KR
mnt-by:       MNT-KRNIC-AP

Further investigation on
the web site shows the
following owner:

Domain Name               : rndsystems.co.kr
Registrant                : R&D SYSTEMS
Registrant Address        : Pusan Venture Bldg.#305 651-1 Eomgung-dong, Sasang-gu, Busan, Republic of Korea
Registrant Zip Code       : 617831
Administrative Contact(AC): Kang Young Gyun AC
E-Mail                    : rndsys@...llian.net
AC Phone Number           : 0513261777
Registered Date           : 2002. 05. 17.
Last updated Date         : 2003. 04. 24.
Expiration Date           : 2005. 05. 17.
Publishes                 : Y
Authorized Agency         : I-NAMES(the "I" stands for "Internet") Corporation (http://www.i-names.co.kr)
Primary Name Server   Host Name              : www.rndsystems.co.kr
   IP Address             : 211.33.221.36