From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: IE Web Browser: "Sitting Duck"

Actually MS does support the use of alternative shells. However you couldn't
and shouldn't expect that if you have a say Thunderbird shell that MS would
support that shell, just the pinnings under it. Just like they don't support
say, Lotus, but they do support the underlying OS API calls.

As for breaking things, it goes back to the same DLL point. If an app is
built on the concept that that shell would be there and has dependencies on
it, yes it will break. The only thing I can say to that is yeah, of course.
Most of the GUI admin tools from MS depend on those shell dependencies,
again, to that I say... Of course. However if you want to write your own,
you can. The Windows API core pieces are still there and fully exposed and
you don't have to use the Shell API calls and avoid the Shell DLLs. It will
take you a bit longer to write anything though I would expect unless you
have already built up your own lib.

There are many embedded and POS and other machines running Windows and not
using the Explorer shell. They are still called Windows machines.

  joe