From: dsi at iss.net (Ingevaldson, Dan (ISS Atlanta))
Subject: Information Week: 2/3 of pros want immediate disclosure

Figures lie and liars figure.  It's all in the way the question was
phrased:

"When should software vendors disclose software vulnerabilities to their
customers?" This was the wording in the InfomationWeek article that
Steve posted.  66% said "immediately".

What would the results look like if you asked a loaded question that
leaned in the other direction?

"Should software vendors disclose information about software
vulnerabilities to the global hacking community at the same time as all
their customers who haven't yet implemented a working patch management
process?"

I imagine the results would be slightly different.  Take this study with
a grain of salt.

Daniel Ingevaldson
Director, X-Force R&D/PSS
dsi@....net