From: eric at arcticbears.com (Eric Paynter)
Subject: How big is the danger of IE?

On Thu, July 8, 2004 2:29 pm, joe said:
> I'm trying to understand if your issue you are implying sarcastically in
> your last statement is with pulling similar functionality out of single
> programs and putting it into DLLs or that MS offers products to do many
> different things or that you can seamlessly work with documents across
> applications thereby more easily putting them together (instead of
> saying building a spreadsheet in excel working on formatting it, print it
> separate, then take a word doc and print it separate and then collate
> the sheets together).

What I'm saying is that Microsoft's plan to integrate every MS tool into
every other MS tool is backfiring. They have created a monster of such
complexity that it cannot be fixed.

Applications *can* be integrated, but such integration needs to be
carefully architected from the outset of the application development. MS
is working with years and years of old code for applications that were
developed independently of each other. They are trying to retro-fit them
all into a shiny new integrated application suite. The complexity is
unmanageable and the result is what we are seeing: a regular flow of
multi-vector vulnerabilities that are coming out faster than they can be
patched. And the scramble to patch is just making the mess worse.

-Eric

--
arctic bears - affordable custom email and name services
http://www.arcticbears.com