From: jdeckard at webmd.net (Deckard, Jason)
Subject: No shell => secure?

It looks like you understand there are difficulties with doing something
like this and are really only interested in getting opinions on whether or
not it will stop canned exploit code.

Assuming a majority of shellcode calls /bin/sh or one of the other common
shells, I think your idea of renaming the shells will stop most standard
kiddie attacks.  It might be worthwhile to put something in place of /bin/sh
that will make a log entry when it is executed (time/date, uid, and
command-line arguments for example).  Download some exploit-code and test
your ideas on a test system.

Hax is right to call this security through obscurity.  If you go through
with this, it should only be a small part of a larger, comprehensive defense
strategy.