From: PerrymonJ at bek.com (Perrymon, Josh L.)
Subject: What about M$ in the shell: race

 Well..

I'm not tryiny to take any credit for it. Keith McCanless and I where
working on it at the same time ane he submitted to Mozilla 2 hours before I
did yesterday morning. We have shared a lot of ideas and research on the
subject.

No I didn't just grab someones research. Keith and I took the same approach.
This acutally started last week when Jessica sent the IE active-X stuff to
me and I look at an older Buqtraq post and saw the shell: code that was used
with double backslashes in IE.
I run mozilla now so I started looking at the code and playing with
different variants in the lab.

I noticed that it worked in Mozilla on the 7th but I din't think about
sending it to Mozilla becuase at first I didn't think it was a big deal. But
it started a lot of intrest in FD so I submitted it just after Keith.

If you follow my first posts in FD you will see that my first intrest was
purely in the background of the shell: command and how it works and the
behaviors involved.

But I guess to answer the question:
No- I didn't just see an advisory from someone and start making posts like I
found it. I worked with the other researchers on this.

I don't care if someone mentions my name in an advisory. Maybe I would if I
was trying to get a job or something but like you I work for the corporate
world and was just doing some research.

Read his advisory:

REFERENCE
---------
MOZILLA will open/execute a file when navigated to a valid SHELL-protocol
url:
http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2004/Jul/0333.html
greetingz fly to perrymonj

JP