From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: Re: shell:windows

Nick Eoannidis wrote:

> Larry Seltzer
> eWEEK.com Security Center Editor --
>
> buddy, the shell:windows URI handler was disabled in IE ages ago!
> The fact it can be crafted into an exploit for Mozilla! is the issue
> here.
> Of course it wont work on your IE your probably patched to the max!
> Mozilla just forgot to disable access to this URI due to the fact
> that mozilla was first built for nix and not windoze.
> All versions of mozilla have been fixed now

Actually, that's not entirely accurate.

The shell:windows code does work in IE, the only difference being that
it displays a dialogue box when referenced asking if the user wishes to
open or save the file.  Combine that with a little social engineering
and you've got a potential compromise.

Also, when the shell:windows reference is input into IE's address bar
field, it executes the code without a a dialogue box...

I think that some of you may see where that's going...

             -Barry