From: larry at larryseltzer.com (Larry Seltzer)
Subject: Re: shell:windows

>>>Gimme a break. This is not a meaningful problem.

>>It's as meaningful as the Mozilla issue.  If your point is that that wasn't a
meaningful problem either, then we can agree to disagree on the scope.  I'll agree that
getting this issue to run code of the choosing of the attacker is more difficult than
some other unpatched IE holes, but it is not impossible.

I disagree completely. The Mozilla problem, which I'll readily agree is not in the same
league with most of the recent IE problems, allowed a local program to execute simply by
visiting a web page that had the appropriate shell: link in a META tag. You actually
think this is on the same level as requiring a user to type
"shell:windows\system32\foo.exe" into the Address bar?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer