From: PerrymonJ at bek.com (Perrymon, Josh L.)
Subject: Re: shell:windows

After my initial question I see that IE isn't a big issue like Mozilla was.
However, I think it could be used in an attack.

But it would be limited- I haven't found a way to pass variables to it
because you are already passing a variable in the .exe or whatever you call
from the shell: statement. But what if it was used to start a service or a
program that isn't running or something to that effect. I agree that
having the dialog box appear isn't automated and requires intervention by
the user. But how many (( End-users)) click on that popup banner that says
your the 1,000,000 visitor and you win.. Or opened the email that was from
Microsoft saying it was a security patch.

What if you could use it as the link in an image or something else.

I have played around with it a lot but haven't had a lot of luck crating a
super l33t exploit with it ;)

Maybe it's not the shell: command itself that is an issue. But it starts
that mindset of looking for other protocols in the url bar?

JP