From: joel at helgeson.com (Joel R. Helgeson)
Subject: Erasing a hard disk easily

As a forensic analyst, a simple one-pass is often sufficient. The way to
pull data off that has been overwritten by these methods, in my experience,
can only be recovered by opening up the platters and putting a more
sensitive read head attached to an o-scope in order to read the data.

If someone is going to go through those pains to recover the data then there
are much easier ways to hack into/gain access to your secrets.

FWIW...

Regards,

Joel R. Helgeson
Director of Networking & Security Services
SymetriQ Corporation

"Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life."