From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: IE

IBM doesn't actually offer support or at least didn't when we spent 18
months researching it last couple of years. I consulted for a company that
was looking at IBM heavily because the current CIO previously worked for
IBM. The 18 months was spent going over the various offerings and statements
IBM made when trying to get standards in place to deploy Linux in any
serious non-backroom way. The big quote going around in the trenches was
that IBM better have some pixie dust because what we are seeing in the real
world doesn't stack up for their claims.

Basically the support falls through to the vendor from which you separately
buy the OS from, Red Hat or Suse were the options. The big thing IBM offered
was that they would help you write custom code against the various versions
but the costs were extremely substantial and then you were in a weird zone
of support where the people we spoke to couldn't really say how we would be
supported but that they would try to get the changes we paid for implemented
in the main source tree so we could be supported by the OS Vendor.