From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: FW: Question for DNS pros

--On Saturday, July 24, 2004 10:16 AM -0500 Suzi and Harold VanPatten
<vanpattens@...logy.net> wrote:

> It seems to me you could do this without setting up a dns server. Just
> tcpdump the traffic or sniff or snoop the traffic. It you set it up with
> a snaplength of 1500 you'll get enough of the packet to see  exactly what
> dns query is being asked...something like
> tcpdump -n -s 1500 udp and port 53 and host 1.2.3.4

I already did this, and I already posted it here.  It didn't reveal
anything that I wasn't already aware of - ns requests and ptr requests for
that IP.

> then you'll be able to tell if the queries are all for one specific
> domain (meaning something has that IP registered as an authoritative
> server for that domain) or are the queries for many different domains
> meaning people think you have a dns server they can use as a resolver.

As I already stated, they're coming from all over.

> Same with issue number one, once you know the domain they are querying,
> you can find the POC of that domain and get them to fix the problem.
> Hopefully, it is one of these two issues.  Good luck!

That's the one piece I don't have yet - what domain is being queried.  Thus
the request for suggestions here.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas