From: stuart at cyberdelix.net (lsi)
Subject: MyDoom-M evades attachment filters

Err, Pegasus Mail :)  (a free POP3 client)

Seriously..!  When I get some time I plan to add the exe and zip
filters to SpamPal, which is a free Windows-based anti-spam POP3
proxy that supports multiline regular expressions.  It has some virus-
specific base-64 sigs, but does not currently have the generic
detection made possible by the 10-byte MIME string quoted earlier.

After some research, this appears to be the earliest and most
comprehensive enunciation of the generic attachment filtering
approach: http://qmail.plig.org/qmail-smtpd-viruscan-1.3.patch

That route is for larger networks with their own MTA.  I am shooting
at a client-side POP3 solution for end-users (such as me) - and maybe
a few small businesses here and there!

Spampal: http://www.spampal.org
Pegasus: http://www.pmail.com/

Stu

> what are you using for attachment filters?  my astaro attachment
> filter is killing mydoom without one getting through.
>
> lsi wrote:
> > Since the first MyDoom (which appeared almost six months ago, to the
> > day) I have been nice and snug behind my executable attachment
> > filter.  And my zipfile attachment filter.  But then MyDoom-M slips
> > past ....

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192.168.0.2)