From: HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu (Harris, Michael C.)
Subject: Automated SSH login attempts? Related Cross post from incidents.org

-----Original Message-----
From: intrusions-bounces@...ts.sans.org
[mailto:intrusions-bounces@...ts.sans.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Daviel
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 4:01 PM
To: intrusions@...idents.org
Subject: [Intrusions] Linux SSH scanning - test/guest

FYI

We got zapped by some hackers from, I think, Romania that have a priv
escalation exploit for Linux 2.4.20
http://sirzion.illusivecreations.com/loginxy

There is also a multithreaded SSH bruteforcer called "haita"
This attempts to login to machines using the accounts "test" and
"guest", with passwords "test" & "guest" respectively.
It runs from a file of addresses found by a synscan program. It
identifies itself as SSH-2.0-libssh-0.1

So, SSH login failures for test & guest are an indication of this thing
running at the remote end.

The two names & passwords appear to be hardcoded into the program.
Since Linux as I recall backs off after failed attempts there wouldn't
be much to gain by trying many more names, but variants may appear with
other defaults.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376