From: jan.m.clairmont at citigroup.com (Clairmont, Jan M)
Subject: National Database of Variants with Fixes-non-vendor specific

That is why there should be a National Standards Organization for
SPAM, Virii, Trojans, etc. etc.  This is a critical need there
should be an RFC created with a reporting database.  All vendors would
have be required to report it or they would not meet the
International Standards. They would report the fix  and a methodology
for naming time/place of first origin report etc. per exemplar:
A-virus1.1.2004.14:35:01EST.1 alias Mydoom.12 variant.
Time stamp found and unique name type if they turn out to be the same
variant, then the database purges any newer finds without too many
duplications.

This is not that difficult it just needs to have a reporting  authority.
Without a centralized authority on reporting there is
no way to effectively combat the threats to the internet.

I am seeing great ideas, keep it coming.
Jan Clairmont
Firewall Administrator/Consultant