From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: WIndows XP SP2 "breaks" things

All I can say about this, Greg, is...well...duh!

> > Just FYI, my company is experiencing a high volume
> > of calls from customers
> > claiming that they have installed Windows SP2.
> > Customers claim that SP2 is
> > "breaking" previously working network behavior.
> > Initial testing indicates
> > that the cause is the "Internet Firewall" settings
> > on SP2 which have been set to default closed!

I guess MS is just responding to the public's
requests.  Sure, they could've done a much better job
of detecting during installation whether the system
was part of a domain or not, but you know, there has
been a great deal of documentation of the "on by
default" firewall settings in SP2.

Maybe someone should talk to your customers about what
happens when you install...well...pretty much anything
(patches or anything else) without some sort of plan.