From: fulldisc at ultratux.org (Maarten)
Subject: (no subject)

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 07:19, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
> The appropriately-named Frank Knobbe wrote:
> > Isn't the complete lack of naming standardization in the AV industry
> > simply amazing?  ...

> However, if all AV vendors (and it would have to be all vendors or
> market forces would prevent it happening, so guess what is one of the
> largest things blocking better naming coordination?) were to agree a
> name perfectly before _any_ of them shipped updated detection for new
> viruses, it is a better than than fair bet that those same outsiders
> would the be ones complaining longest and loudest about how tardy AV
> vendors were at shipping "emergency" updates.

There is nothing stopping AV vendors from naming freshly discovered virii with
an internal naming scheme (VENDOR-YYYYMMDDHHxy) pending a central database /
organisation to name the virus.  Then all vendors can rename the new strain
from their generic temporary name to the definitive name. This is trivial,
they update virus definitions all the time, why not also update the name.

This could even be good for competition; the central authority could give
credit to the first discoverer by naming the virus after the vendor who first
found it (but I digress here).

In the real world, things are very often named after their discoverers or
inventors.  Star systems, diseases, laws, etcetera.

Of course, the first thing is to form that central authority, but then again
lots of industries have a central authority -whether decreed by law or not-
so it's not something deemed impossible.
At least there are no technical barriers to stop that, only political ones.
Despite the high rate of development as you outline below.  Using a temporary
name is quite simple to do, simple to update and overall better for everyone.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER