From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: AV Naming Convention

Brad Griffin wrote:

<<snip>>
> Using a generic no-name description in an identity file until a
> committee named a virus variant would unsettle millions of end users
> ("you've got a virus, but I'm buggered if I know what it's called").

Indeed, this is a factor I've not even touched on as I've mainly been
discussing larger, more structural issues.

Another twist on it would be that you'd get bunches of confused folk
running round saying things like "the Symantec-20040813-017 virus does
X" while another bunch would be ringing NAI tech support asking "What
does the Norman-20040813-022 virus do?  Our gateway virus scanner has
stopped hundreds in the last hour and if we release one from Email
quarantine and unpack the attachment your desktop scanner doesn't
detect anything" and on and on and on.

Also, there is a very strong sentiment in the industry (that much tech
support experience indirectly suggests is well-founded) that users
"want" (even "need") relatively easy to remember names and things like
Symantec-20040813-017 and Norman-20040813-022 certainly don't fit that
bill.

> (MY couple cents of useless input).

Not at all -- a good point previously overlooked/ignored.  It is
another part to the "the largest cost of naming inconsistency occurs
during the first few hours of 'outbreak' events" issue.

> IIRC, haven't a lot of the naming convention problems occurred because
> the majority of vendors don't like to pander to vxer's egos by naming
> viruses the way the creators' wanted?

I guess that depends how you define "a lot".  Certainly some naming
inconsistencies are due to some vendors happily choosing the name
suggested in some comment in a virus' code or displayed in a message,
or otherwise "obviously manifested" by the virus (some hardcoded
filename, hardcoded Email message Subject: line or distinctive message
body word, etc, etc).  Of course, whether you agree that choosing such
names for the "official" malware name strokes its writer's ego or not,
there are sound _technical_ reasons for not using such ephemeral
"features" of the code as the basis for choosing a name.

For example, imagine the FooBar.A virus contains the text message in
its body (but has no code to display the message or even to access the
address range the message will be loaded into memory at) "I am the
FooBar virus", and that was the basis of the original family naming
choice.  Now some half-wit (i.e. 95+% of "virus writers") comes along,
exercises his mad hacking skills by firing up his favourite, leet
hacking tools (i.e. a hex editor), opens a sample of the virus,
modifies the message string to now read "I am the BarFoo virus" and
releases it.  Should we call this "new" virus:

A.  FooBar.A because the only change is not only to a non-code area,
but to a data area that is never referenced by any code in any
(functional) branch of code, so this "new variant" is really only just
the original based on the code-invariance rule.

B.  FooBar.B because it is clearly very similar to (in fact, has
precisely the same replication code as), yet different from, FooBar.A.

C.  BarFoo.A because "BarFoo" is "clearly" the virus writer's intended
name.

D.  BarFoo.A because "BarFoo" is "clearly" the virus writers intended
name and you work for VendorY who has not seen FooBar.A yet and is
unaware of both its existence and that VendorX has named it FooBar.A.

E.  Heaven knows what, but there's bound to be at least three or four
more-or-less "obvious" other names to use, so why not use one of them?
Recall that just because VendorX has already seen and analysed FooBar.A
this "new" variant may be seen first by VendorY who may be unaware of
both the existence of FooBar.A and VendorX's choice of name for it.

F.  Garfield.B and you rename FooBar.A to Garfield.A because you now
realize that "FooBar" was a stupid family name for these viruses, there
is no other "obvious" name that is not based on trivially ephemeral
features of the virus, and you always had a hankering to name a virus
after that annoying kid from your first year at high school who...

G.  LesboSex because you're sick of all these rubbish viruses you've
had to analyse and add detection of lately, and you think that is a
good joke to pull at the virus writers expense.

The "science" of virus analysis and classification cannot answer this
question so there really is no "correct" answer (though there is at
least one "obviously incorrect" one and one that I'd hope should
obviously be my preferred one).  If you put the scenario (but without
the multi-choice options) to several virus analysts working on AV
products you would (mainly) get answers A. and B..  Despite that
though, in the real world, A. through E. is what actually happens and
very occasionally F. (actually, G. kind of happened too, though I've
taken a few liberties with the scenario...).

Sadly, despite us all knowing that A. through E. is "everyday reality"
many AV companies do not have sufficiently flexible structures and
processes in place to allow for the easy renaming of malware should
their initial (published) choice of name turn out to be a poor one
(which, in case my preference in such cases is not already clear,
partly explains the undesirably low rate at which F. actually happens).

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.