From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: (no subject)

Todd Towles wrote:

>How is naming a virus with @mm or a W32 in the front slow the process
>down? Naming has nothing to do with AV venders making money IMO. If it
>does, McAfee should change its name to Norton before tries to buy it
>out. =)

It doesn't have a direct impact -- however, you're not going to get the
major companies to agree to put resources towards collaboration and
changing names.  That's a used resource which cuts into their profits.
(Note: I'm trying to take this from their perspective, not mine.)

It's a little more complex than just having prefixes and postfixes.
Actually, if you look at the latest e-mail worms and their variance in
variant naming between AV vendors, it's a lot more complex than
standardized prefixes and whatnot.

Not to mention the fact that many businesses won't do so as a matter of
ego/self-reliance.

             -Barry