From: fulldisc at ultratux.org (Maarten)
Subject: (no subject)

First off:  Nick, please lose that damn attitude of yours !

Further, by hammering on the endless we-have-done-it-for-many-years-so-who
are-you-to-tell-us-differently part you're actually making yourself part of
the problem, not part of the solution.
You're saying that internal procedures make it so difficult to adapt names
after the fact.  When in fact the strength of a company, any company, IS to
be able to adapt to changing circumstances.
And if they're not able to, eventually they will go the way of the dinosaurs.

The only thing Todd (and I) are trying to say is that it is possible to rename
after the fact.  I don't #!%$&* care how many old Cobol programs need
adapting for that to "get" possible, but the fact remains that it IS.
Don't start again about how your current procedures may prevent or complicate
that.  Worse integration problems, by far more complex and bigger companies
or conglomerates are being tackled every day.  Yeah. To name a few ?
How about mergers, or international intelligence-exchange between law
enforcement agencies.  Do you think that they let anyone stop them by
complaining that database format X isn't readily compatible with format Y ?
No. They fix it, they make it work together no matter what.
So don't start about how impossible it is for you to rename one simple entry.

To conclude, I'd like to put serious question marks by your statement that the
first few hours are the all-important ones.  First off, by renaming after the
fact (after the first few hours/days/weeks) no-one is changing ANYTHING about
those first hours so you shouldn't have ANY complaint regarding that.

Secondly, a lot of the confusion only comes later. The guys that have their AV
software up and running and current mostly do not suffer from the outbreaks.
The problem often comes (much) later, with the people who didn't update,
'forgot to', or plain disregard any security or updates whatsoever.  And then
you are only called in to fix things when stuff is really breaking down.
Or are you saying you've never been asked to de-toxify your parents'-,
friends'- or siblings'- computers that got infested despite everything ?
Everyone has.

Oh and P.S.:  Yes, I did read all of the threads pertaining to this.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER