From: eballen1 at qwest.net (Bruce Ediger)
Subject: Immunitysec's paper on Windows TC0

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, neL esoR wrote:

> I am surprised this hasn't engendered a lively
> discussion, everything else seems to.
>
> In neL's book, this paper ranks as one of the best.

What, and risk Dan Geer's fate?  In this economy?  I have a wife,
a cat and two kids that depend on me.

Not to put to fine a point on it, the fog of PR-firm-generated balloon-juice
that surrounded "CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly" has me thinking
twice about anything MSFT-related.  Talk about a sacred cow.

The shills and astroturfers have already come out in force with respect
to XP SP2 - "Give it a chance," they plead.  Riiight.

"NT is the best designed operating system ever." - 1992
"NT has marginally better security than Unix."  - 1996
"Wait 'til Cairo comes out." - 1997
"XP will fix all of that, and more." - 2002
"Longhorn will fix all of that, and more." - 2004

We (the computer using populace) has given Windows many, many chances.
After a few months, the Wag-Ed shills go away, and reality sets in,
with flocks of worms and mass mailers that even cause righteous Pine
users like myself to lose emails because SirCam mails them so many
multi-megabyte "Word" docs.

Still, despite the obvious conclusion, because of Dan Geer's public
firing, low-level grunts like myself can't do anything other than
cough and fidgit during conference calls when Pointy Haired Upper Managers
Who Golf With The Right People mandate the use of MSFT "products".