From: list at geeksamazing.com (Al Reust)
Subject: lame bitching about xpsp2

Craig et al...

As I had stopped reading this thread decided to give it one last chance.

I loaded SP2 into my first platform (a year old XP "original" install with
various installed/un-installed software and hardware (not it is not a clean
XP). This was after a defrag, a specific System Restore Point and Backing
up critical files. Started the upgrade and watched, about 40 minutes later
it was running XP SP2. I looked at the firewall and saw things I liked, I
went Windowsupdate and it Warned me about ActiveX as expected.

What surprised me was that unless you had some really flaky drivers for
some arcane piece of hardware/software it was extremely simple (yes signed
drivers would probably make it easier). I would feel safe letting my mother
do it (but then I built her computer). I still have other hardware to test,
but it was one of the most painless Service Packs I have seen. One of the
first things noticed was that Firewall blocked NetBIOS from the Internet
but still allowed connection to a "share" Internally. The Firewall appeared
flexible, Logging still has to be explored. No, my mother would not
understand the Firewall but could right click on a reg file that I send her.

Next is to hit some of the more suspect sites/exploits to see what happens.

Obviously if you have software that uses RAW Sockets, you are in trouble...
If you have security testing to do you want to wait until a few people have
worked through some of the problems. I do have to do a clean test machine
for my sniffer, snort etc... But then that type of information would be
productive conversation rather than "I can't get things to work." Esp...
when no one gives real details about what did not work.

On to the next configuration and more testing.

R/