From: stephane.nasdrovisky at paradigmo.com (stephane nasdrovisky)
Subject: The 'good worm' from HP

The Central Scroutinizer wrote:

> Would it not be better to have a standard secure backdoor provided by
> a security package that could downloaded or installed by disk and
> works hand in hand with port scanning software, if this is really
> necassary. I am supprised Microsoft have not released such a peice of
> software; maybe a third party have.

There is a known backdoor on every modern system: the
administrator/root/whatever account.
Systeminternals(and others) have a tool which allows remote execution on
windows nt/2k/xp (*)... could be a solution (we used it to install ie 6
and thunderbird x.y.z), ssh or even rsh exists for most unix variants.
We once used symantec's av remote management console (named: ???, the
current version is not smart enough for this) to install things like
netscape browser and making sure some registry & files were as we
wanted...it's again a windows nt/2k/xp 'feature', for unixes, ssh or rsh
(or is it rexec ?) are still available.
*: one such a tool adds a scheduled task and make sure the task
scheduler is running.