From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: Windows Update

The client is required. I have sent a complaint to MS though concerning the
idea that the service set to manual but started doesn't allow the updates to
occur. That, I agree, is a bad design choice.

If the service is set to automatic but not started, it will get started as
soon as you try to actually search for updates. Having it set to auto and
not started just gets you past the initial check. I actually replaced the
service with a quick "do-nothing" service I wrote and the web page gets past
the initial check but then hangs in the search for updates section. I have
no doubt that the client is actually used and needed.

Once again, I agree requiring the service set to automatic is poor. Again
however, this isn't life threatening or insecure, just a pain. Simply use
something to quickly change the start config for the service before going to
the windows update site and change it back afterward. No big hoo hoo.

  joe