From: uberguidoz at gmail.com (Über GuidoZ)
Subject: Windows Update

A very valid point Joe, thanks for briging it up. I DID say I only
allow virus definition files to auto-update, not program updates. Are
the definition file updates the ones causing the problems you speak
of, or the program updates to the scanning engine?

Besides that, If you can't trust the definitions updates to go
properly, then you seriously need to think about changing AV products.
;)

Reading further down the conversation, I see discussion on the
Auto-Update service. Some good points were mentioned here too. Just
because it is enabled it doesn't mean you have to let them INSTALL. In
fact, you can do an advanced install method to pick and choose which
patches to install from the downloaded updates. A nice feature indeed
- I hope this hasn't been altered in post SP2. (I never checked.) My
point was to argue against the automated downloading and installing of
updates, which I believe IS the default after SP2 is installed.

~G