From: rainer at ultra-secure.de (Rainer Duffner)
Subject: Teen hacker controls ebay

Am Do, den 09.09.2004 schrieb ?ber GuidoZ um 20:24:
> I believe it was done through email. DENIC received the request to
> change the DNS, then emailed Tucows to see if it was ok to make the
> changes. By default, the answer is yes. So, since no one responded
> saying "Hell no! Don't do that", the changes were made.
>
> Personally, I can't comprehend how the default for something like that
> would be "Yes",

Because, if the ISP is bankrupt, the "YES" will never come.
And I'd like to see you scramble to get your domains from a bankrupt
hoster to another one, waiting for that simple "yes" to your transfer,
which will never come as all lines have been cut and not a single bit
will ever come from their /24 or /16 again...

IMHO (and several others more involved in the domain-trading biz), the
guy will get away with a proverbial wrist-slapping, even more so because
he's just 19. But also because he didn't really break any laws, apart
from claiming that he owns ebay.de

But ebay.de - I think they deserved it. It's what you get when you
answer every mail with a boilerplate response.
Sometimes, fate seems to meet the right company and all their bad deedss
fall back on them <G>

Can you imagine ?

'Thank you for your mail regarding "Transfer of the domain ebay.de".
We are constantly working to improve your experience...bla.blabla.'

'Perhaps you'll find the answer to you question on the following sites:
<links to predefined ebay-FAQs>'

'Regards'

Rainer