From: live4java at stormcenter.net (Mister Coffee)
Subject: Does the following...

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:37:07PM -0700, Andrew Farmer wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2004, at 17:18, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:20:14 PDT, Andrew Farmer said:
> >>Didn't get the OP's message, but yes. If there's no microphone
>   - "9?" ("nonsense")
<<snip>>

> To other posters:
> - RF keyboards don't exist. Nobody's *that* unconcerned about security.

Actually, yes they do.  While they're not secure, they DO exist.

I've seen traffic sniffed from them to-boot.

> - Bluetooth keyboards require a pairing process to work, so that's not
>   too likely.
> - Bayesian-defeating text? Explain to me why that'd be showing up in
>   Word.

Same way any "accidental" text could show up in Word.  People do occassionally copy things unintentionally to the clipboard.  Accidentially grab something from a spam? *shrug*  Stranger things have happened.

> - Random prose script? Falls to Occam's razor: why would it be
> implemented
>   in Word (other than as a prank)?

It doesn't seem _that_ much less likely than the stray speech recognition software inputs, though it is a stretch.  And it would be a killer prank... (which makes me wonder if I could knock one together and sneak it into a macro at work...)

The "Speech recognition" explanation makes sense, and probably fits well with the limited information given in the original post.  Of course, if the remote user in question doesn't -have- speech recognition enabled, or even installed, that explanation goes out the window.

Cheers,
L4J