From: Michael.Simpson at inveresk.com (Michael Simpson)
Subject: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser
 worm

it revolves around the issue of who know's what
the arsonist who burns down the city after torching his house doesn't get
a job with the fire department as anyone can start a fire
young man with ability to code a novel worm (as opposed to script kiddies
pullin trigger on sploit) is deemed to be highly enough prized or has
skillz and/or knowledge worth bringing into the tent (always safer to have
him inside tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in - unless they
are really bad news in which case u prolly want them in the arms of bubba
with all their fingers broken)
add into that the huge degree of BS apparent throughout the IMT world and
it's no wonder that sven got employment
"micro$oft headhunted me for $250,000"
the world's press have been writing his Curriculum Vitae for him since

so he's young and gifted

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/09/2236216&tid=156&tid=220&tid=1

with a high work rate and demonstrable commitment to a project

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/02/064259&tid=172&tid=95&tid=201

i may not trust him with regards to his ethics/morals but that may not
disbar me from giving him a job if i thought he was suitable and indeed
for some employers not too straight a moral outlook might be preferred
(was it necessary for Clinton to have high moral standards to be a good
prez of the usa?)
having said that i would keep an eye on him, log everything, rfid his
food, 24/7 video feed of his keyboard leds being watched by operators
trained in morse code, etc

thorny subject

mikie

"Nick Jacobsen" <nick@...icsdesign.com>
Sent by: full-disclosure-admin@...ts.netsys.com
20/09/2004 15:10

<full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
cc

Subject
RE: [Full-Disclosure] Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser
worm

Does it not strike anyone that there is a disturbing trend in malicious
hackers (yes, yes, I know, they are not hackers if they are malicious, so
call em whatever you want) getting hired to security firms, mainly because
the "hacker" gets media attention?  It is honestly like we are declaring
to the world that the best way to get a good paying job in the computer
security field is to perform some major attack - and get caught for it -
and then after serving a short sentace, start applying for jobs.  I know
lots of young people, myself included, that could make headlines by
performing some act or another of a sensational nature, and all that stops
us is our own sense of ethics - but those ethics get harder and harder to
hold as we earn a pittance doing your standard boring days work, while
some other guy is out there essentially (in my mind) having fun doing some
detrimental to society, and then getting hired at a substantial salary, as
a reward.
This may sound like a rant, and it probably is, but that makes my point no
less accurate.

Nick Jacobsen
nick@...icsdesign.com